3 months ago · admin · Comments Off on Questions to ask before you Visit an Assisted Living Facility
Most seniors would like to age in place, in the familiar environment of the home. However, there may come a time when your senior loved one starts needing more assistance that can only be fulfilled at a good assisted living facility or senior care home.
Before you start calling and visiting assisted living facilities, it’s always better to know what questions to ask in order to make an informed decision. Each community is unique. Hence, here is a list of questions that will help you ask the right questions, compare communities and help you decide whether a given community is right for your senior loved one.
You can ask the following questions when you call or visit an assisted living residence –
- How many employees you have and how many residents you have – the staff-to-resident ratio?
- What kind of experience does your staff have and do they undergo any training?
- How many staff remain on duty overnight?
- Does your staff administer medications?
- Do you have a nurse 24/7?
- Do you conduct an initial assessment before admission?
- What types of accommodations are available? What is the monthly cost of each type?
- In case there is a waitlist, what is the policy regarding that?
- Do you have a specific type of residents?
- Do you have any outdoor space? How can residents use that?
- What is your discharge policy?
- Are there any additional services available, in case the resident’s needs change?
- What is your billing and payment policy?
What services included in the monthly fee? What and how much do additional services cost?